|Domain||San Francisco, CA|
Alias(es): None publicly known
Real Name: Presumably, Virgil Deems
Apparent Age: early 30s
Concept: Financier turned Kindred politician, attempting to modernize old world sensibilities.
Physical description: A bit over six feet tall, with a light brown pony tail, goatee, and glasses, Virgil nearly always wears a well-tailored suit and sports a fashionable cane of some sort. He also generally has a healthier pallor than most Kindred [OOC: Blush of Health] and is quick to smile.
- Acknowledged by Queen Anne of London
- Cherished by Sheldon Rawlinson of Clan Ventrue
- Esteemed by Prince Mordekai MacPherson of Bloomington, Indiana
- Resourceful by Seneschal (later, Prince) Lady Cassandra Blackwell of Bloomington, Indiana
- Influential by Prince Mordekai MacPherson of Bloomington, Indiana
- Trustworthy by Seneschal (later, Prince) Lady Cassandra Blackwell of Bloomington, Indiana
- Resplendent by Prince Alessio Rinaldi of Ravenna, Italy
- Exalted, Famous, Well-Known, and Distinguished as Prince of San Francisco
- Venerable as a Sovereign Prince of the Camarilla
- Dignified as a Dignitary of the Camarilla
- August as a Luminary of the Camarilla
- Respected as a Scion of the Camarilla [OOC: Reputation: articulate politician]
Virgil moved to Indiana from Great Britain in 2004, rapidly acquiring Primogenship in the Court of Vivianne de Montrachet. He later served as Keeper of Elysium and then Seneschal for successive Princes of Bloomington, Indiana before moving to San Francisco, where he soon took up the position of Keeper and then Seneschal in the Court of Daniel Book. In late August of 2009, he seized Praxis when Book stepped down, and he has been Prince of the City by the Bay since.
He is an active correspondent, posting fairly frequently to the Camarilla fora and is known to be fairly well-spoken. [OOC: Reputation: Articulate Politician]
At the "Convention of Fire" during the 2011 New Orleans Grand Masquerade, Virgil was the Camarilla Ventrue delegate. At the Bay Area Grand Elysium of 2013, he was recognized as a Sovereign Prince.
He spoke in favor of a Child of Haqim Justicar at the Baltimore Conclave of 2015, and in May of that year, during the Bay Area Grand Elysium, stripped Jaroslav Pascek of significant standing for killing a Mandarin of the Kuei Jin Court of San Francisco on a (now former) Elysium.
In 2018, at the May Grand Elysium, Virgil publicly blood hunted Jaroslav Pascek in the Domain of San Francisco in conjunct with the Judicial Conclave being held in his Domain.
None publicly known.
To outward appearances, he is rather well-respected by his Clan. Virgil seems to have remarkably congenial relations with neighboring Princes - Dorian Grey, Sunny, and Alejandro Patron - and much of his Court. He also seems on reasonably good terms with local archons, notably Michael Crison and Michaelangelo Archadia.
Oddly, Virgil doesn't seem to have many public or visible enemies. He does have a significant Kuei Jin presence in his Domain, however, and the Princes of San Francisco have long had a rocky relationship with the Eastern Kindred. He has had some somewhat heated exchanges on national fora, however.
- Claire Deems (deceased)
- Marcus Deems (deceased)
- Gerard Saint Clair (deceased)
- Corbin Windsor
- Jacqueline Deems
- Charlotte Deems
None publicly known.
- "Money," Pink Floyd
- "Dedicated Follower of Fashion," The Kinks
- "The Great Destroyer (Modwheelmood)," Nine Inch Nails
- "The Farthest Star," VNV Nation
- "Everybody Knows," Leonard Cohen
The Roast of Shanghai Kelly
Virgil Deems at the Roast. Spoiler alert: it ends with a quote!
- "What virtues one believes their sire to embody does both credit."
- "Ingenious gentlemen, we." -- Virgil, being literary.
- "Self-doubt is reasonable in so much as it prevents you from making rash decisions driven primarily by ignorance or emotion. The moment your doubts stop you from acting decisively when time is of the essence, they need to be quashed."
- "Indeed, I do not hate the Rebellion for their depredations. I pity them for deluding themselves into believing that they are truly "free" when they bind themselves with Blood to an ideology which brooks no dissent, enforced with violence, and in service to perverse and divisive goals."
- "The Camarilla I fight for every night is not a Camarilla of tyranny and oppression of thought. It is a society that recognizes that we are all Kindred and does what is necessary that we might survive into future nights, past future threats. It is a group of Kindred who works tirelessly to protect the Masquerade, even as those who would see us dead detonate explosives in internationally-recognized landmarks. We are stronger through our dissent and our recognition that through such dissent, we build toward a more perfect truth."
- On Nosferatu: "Horror is in thought and action, not in countenance. Never convince yourself otherwise."
- To Pascek, on his assertion that killing on Elysium was a "sacrifice:" "It was not sacrifice; it was sacrilege. I would expect a Jesuit to know the difference. ...or perhaps you're not one after all?"
This is something it would be far more appropriate for others to fill in, and I invite others to do so. The following have all been suggested or added by others:
- Virgil is a fan of baseball.
- Virgil is fond of being texted with emojis.
- Virgil and Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom are former lovers, having had an affair while Newsom was Mayor of San Francisco.
- Known to some as "Big Daddy" VD
- While he intentionally maintains a high-humanity "nice guy" image, makes a point of hiring very bad people and turning a blind eye when they "take care of problems" without troubling him with the details
- Like every other Prince of San Francisco the throne will take his sanity.
- Virgil has a thesaurus as a ghoul.
- [ Insert obligatory Setite rumor here. ]
- Thinks of himself as the New World's Queen Anne. As such, has been arranging to install compliant Princes in the neighboring Domains.
- Stark raving mad. He is Prince of San Francisco, after all. Must be something in the water. Err, blood.
- Keeps Mark Richardson as his seneschal because the Malkavian is good in bed.
- Lady Elizabeth of York thought he might be a homosexual.
- Lady Elizabeth also called him quite the dandy.
- In honor of Geoffrey Tanner, at Tanner's memorial service, Virgil punched William Stanford in the face.
- Can only work with and thus only appoints Court officers that are also crazy or broken or often both.
- Drinks the Justicariate's koolaid. That's why he keeps "going up against" the Justicariate.
- Loves the sound of his own voice only slightly less then he loves the look of his handwriting.
- Looking to die. That's why he keeps going up against the Justicariate.